It’s been a while, but @lace_fire here again with an update to one of previous games, Snowman Day! I’ve tweaked a few of the game’s features to improve the game-play and hope I’ve been successful. Throughout the 2016 year I plan to finish the five remaining unfinished games that I submitted for #1GAM. This past weekend I attended an Indie Arcade event and was happy to verify that Blender and Unity are two software applications some indie game developers use when creating games. Though all of the games created for my year participation in #1GAM were created with Phaser, I do intend to learn Unity once I have completed these games.
Happy new year from @lace_fire! For December’s #1GAM, the theme was “Snow Day” and I decided to create a game using solely Blender graphics. What better representation of a snow day than a snowman! I wanted to include some of the Phaser mechanics, something I really haven’t done much with since I joined #1GAM. Although the game is playable, more game design and physics will be required before I can consider this game finished. A couple of things were enforced this month with regards to creating games in general: game-play should take priority over graphics, and if the game-play is enjoyable enough, the motivation to finish will be increased. Good things to keep in mind from here on out!
Seasons greetings from @lace_fire! For November’s #1GAM, I decided to create a different take on one of my favorite simple games, Snake! For my version, I wanted to make the snake candy-based (probably due to the abundance of sweets I eat during the holiday time-frame) and had to keep the graphics relatively simple due to my learning the basics of Blender alongside the creation of my game. All graphics were created using Blender and GIMP, other than the win screen which was a mixture of Microsoft Word and Paint. The music/sound effects were composed with Musink.
Hello, my sixth addition to #1GAM is now playable! #1GAM’s theme for October was, appropriately enough, “Death”. I felt that the most obvious route to take was having the Grim Reaper follow the player through a house. Unfortunately, due to time constraints, the furniture was instead rectangles of varying sizes. This was the first month I incorporated Blender at all, and the incorporation was very minimal: light effects were added to the objects. I’m hopeful that in the months hereafter I will add more and more Blender features as I become more accustomed to the software. Other than Blender, I also used Microsoft Word’s shapes feature and GIMP.